THOUGHTS AND NEWS FROM US AT
CHASE STREAM FARM.
Hello Chase Stream Farm Supporters! We hit the ground running and are continuing to move the ball closer to the goal line.
We've grown some fantastic veggies - cucumbers, zucchini, swiss chard, eggplant and are waiting for the red peppers, tomatoes, potatoes, and squash to be ready for harvest. The hardest part thus far has been finding paying homes for this awesome harvest.
We're selling at a local farmers market, we've had a few restaurant orders, and are contributing to a local aggregator.
There are a lot of local farmers providing their harvest, and we missed out on "growers meetings" held during the winter. We're the outsiders trying to break in to an established industry. We've been learning a lot about food insecurity in Maine and the challenges of synching up producers with consumers! What we can't sell, we are donating to local soup kitchens and making value-added products like "Sweet n' Sassy Cucumber Relish"! All growing pains that we had expected.
We've become Regional Directors of MidCoast Maine members of the "United Veteran Farms of Maine" and are working to foster a sense of belonging and mutual support among the several veteran farms in our region.
Here's what we've got on our plate for the next several weeks:
1) Upgrade an existing structure to a heated greenhouse for year-round veggie production
2) Get the kids settled into their new schools and community
3) Get fall/winter crops into the ground
4) Wiggle our way in to existing processes for providing veggies to various organizations, grocers, and restaurants.
5) Host a MidCoast Maine Farm BBQ for our veteran growers and supporters
6) Get our commercial kitchen re-certified so that we can make and sell value-added products
7) Work with a production company who is doing a documentary on Veterans in Agriculture in Maine.
We have a lot of irons in the fire, with even more to come as we figure out how to become more diversified as we add livestock, orchards, syrup and honey production on to Chase Stream Farm.
Thank you all for your prayers, support, and encouragement as we continue to march forward toward this goal!
Happy Growing, Anne & Tim