THOUGHTS AND NEWS FROM US AT
CHASE STREAM FARM.
Hello Chase Stream Farm supporters! It's been way too long since our last update - because we've been BUSY!! In the past month we've:
1) Gotten our produce into two local elementary schools (farm-to-schools). Every week, we provide our harvest and ensure that kids are getting exposed to healthy and tasty veggies.
2) Provided food to the "Mainers feeding Mainers" program, helping to bridge the food insecurity gap.
3) Gotten Chris settled into his new High School and into a community orchestra where he can continue his viola hobby.
4) Gotten the "Beauty" heated high tunnel ready for a "poly pulling party" so that we can get our winter crops of beets, turnips, carrots, lettuce, cabbage, and Asian greens in the ground.
5) Purchased apple, pear, and plum trees for planting next spring.
We've stopped farmers market activity. It just wasn't worth the time & effort. I literally sold, on average, $15 worth of produce during a 4-hour stand - not including the harvest, washing, and set-up time. That just wasn't going to pay the bills!
We continue to sell to our local CoOp and have been accepted into an indoor, year-round market standing up in the spring.
I've discussed our way forward with the Veterans Administration, and learned that we have to be an operating "school" for two years before the VA will look at certifying us as an education provider where Veterans can use their VA benefits. I am now working to develop a training curriculum that will include business planning (marketing, funding, etc) in addition to the fundamental skills of agriculture & livestock production. My winter is spoken for, in case you were wondering.
Finally, the documentary, "Growing Home" is in production, and Chase Stream Farm should be filmed toward the end of the month. That should be a hoot!
Many blessings to you all, and thank you for your continued support and prayers!
Sincerely, Tim & Anne